Wikitroid Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Wikitroid Community

The forum for the Wikitroid Metroid wiki at: metroid.wikia.com

3 posters

Welcome to the forum!

Gaiacarra
    Gaiacarra
    Admin

Welcome to the forum! Empty Welcome to the forum!

Post  Gaiacarra Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:10 am

Hi there! You probably got here from my post over at Wikitroid. What this is is a place to get ourselves organized, and discuss things in more comfortable conditions. I dunno about you, but I don't find wiki talk pages a very agreeable place to have a conversation.

Here we'll discuss stuff like "should we delete this article", or "how should we write this...". Organizational issues and so on.

By the way, I am not the founder of Wikitroid. I'm just some guy, who took it upon himself to make this forum. As such my position as Administrator is just a formality, if you have any ideas for the forum, make a poll and if your idea gets voted in I'll try and implement it best I can.

If you like, you can post your e-mail and/or MSN/YIM/AIM below and I'll contact you when we get new members here. Once there're enough we'll be able to really get things going at Wikitroid again.

My e-mail is gaiacarra@yahoo.com. My MSN is babybishops04@yahoo.com.

Until then, tell your friends! Advertise!
    Hellkaiserryo12
    Hellkaiserryo12

Welcome to the forum! Empty Re: Welcome to the forum!

Post  Hellkaiserryo12 Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:35 pm

I have to say i agree with you about posting on wiki's, they are a bit strange i suppose. I am new to forums though, so i'm going to take time to adjust! Well, at least we don't have to sign our posts anymore.~~~~ oops, ive already done it. Laughing
    Gaiacarra
    Gaiacarra
    Admin

Post  Gaiacarra Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Welcome, and hopefully more people will follow suit, because I really think this is a good idea. :>
    FastLizard4
    FastLizard4

Post  FastLizard4 Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:45 am

Well, the only problem I see with this forum is that there is no way to verify that user123 here is user123 on the wiki. Aside from that, it's probably a good idea - the wiki's forum system can be klutzy.

That said, the open nature of the wiki's operations require that all official functions, delete debates, commenting on articles, and votes must take place on the wiki where the editors can be verified. In other words, the only thing this forum should be used for is socializing, and socializing only. I think that is something that needs to be made clear on the forum.

In addition, pending review by the administrators, it needs to be made clear that this forum is, currently, unofficial.

Lastly, I've been considering the forum for a while, and find one critical flaw in it: It's on a shared host. If we made the forum official, it would probably be best if I were to move it into my webserver (or rather, a ClueNet webserver, specifically scalar) where I have shell control, database control, etc. In other words, we are not dependent - we don't have to worry about the host shutting down, etc. And, being able to personally maintain a database has certain benefits. If you're wondering about my qualifications in that field, I run a personal MediaWiki installation (come on IRC while I'm around and I can show it to you) and am a developer for Wikipedia's Account Creation project.

(Note to Gaiacarra: I believe I can provide the command to initiate a database dump, necessary to move the forum to a new server, should this forum be running the software I think it is and should you be willing to do that)

--FastLizard4
    "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." --Winston Smith, George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

Last edited by FastLizard4 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:56 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : +signature)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:55 pm